Today, Governor David Ige signed HB2024 into law, establishing a new governance and management structure for Maunakea by creating the Mauna Kea Stewardship and Oversight Authority.
We believe this is a positive way forward, one that upholds our core principles,* is inclusive of the native Hawaiian community in decision-making, and is consistent with our commitment to a Community Astronomy model as outlined in the Astro2020 State of the Profession.**
As we enter into this new era, I am filled with gratitude for the opportunity to work with everyone who has a deep connection to Maunakea and look forward to charting collaborative pathways towards mutual stewardship of such a special site.
Hilton Lewis, Director, W. M. Keck Observatory
- Proposed Conference Committee Draft CD1
- Maunakea Observatories Directors’ Input to Conference Committee
- *Principles for the Future Management of Astronomical Facilities on Maunakea
- **Astro2020 State of the Profession and Societal Impacts: Excerpts Supporting a Community Astronomy Model
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to Senate Ways and Means Committee
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to Senate Higher Education Committee
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to the House
- HB 2024 Status